The Mangalahat Horbo Party is a custom event in Batak culture characterized by the slaughter of a buffalo accompanied by gondang music. It means that Mangalahat Horbo is cutting buffalo, where the buffalo will be cut or slaughtered at a milestone built in the middle of the village precisely in front of the bolon house in a village. The pillars will be decorated with the leaves of the banyan tree, the pillar is named Borotan. The use of roaring leaves is a symbol of holiness, because the banyan tree is considered a sacred tree.
At the time of the Mangalahat Horbo Traditional Festival will be accompanied by gondang music and Batak traditional dances. There are several types of dances that are usually performed on this custom party event. The dances are as follows:
- Gondang Mula-mula, the dance performed as a prayer to Began Nabolon or the Creator of heaven and earth and all beings to give his blessing to the children of men, wealth, health and keep away from them during party activities.
- Gondang Mula Jadi, a dance that symbolizes the prayer that has been promised is granted.
- Gondang Lae-lae, is an application to the Almighty that buffaloes to be binded and slaughtered do not perform resistance when they are led to Borotan. The dangers of buffalo at the moment to Borotan will be a sign of how the event will take place.
- Gondang Shata Mangaliat, dance movements of people who are participating in the party by performing dance movements while around Borotan, when the buffalo is slaughtered and then the meat will be distributed to the party participants according to their respective sections.
- Gondang Marolop-olop, a dance where guests dance as congratulations to the party owners.
- Gondang Siboru, is a dance performed by the youth to attract the heart of the idol and welcome her dancing.
- Gondang Sidoli, the dance performed by the youngsters to attract the beloved youth of her heart.
Pangondason Gondang, this dance is a dance where datu performs a spirit of ancestors to come to join the party event. Usually marked by the infiltration of the spirit to one party participant.
- Tunggal Tortor Panaluan, is a dance performed by Datu or shaman to communicate with Debat Natolu to support the application of rain, descendants and success in life.
- Gondang Sigale-gale, is a dance of a doll or statue that can dance to the sounds of gondang music. Sigale-gale is a statue that is created in such a way that it can perform movements like dancing while following the rhythm of the gondang.
To see the attraction of this dance can be seen in the Huta Bolon Simanindo Museum’s attractions, there are almost every day shown if there are tourists who come there. This tourist object is on Samosir Island precisely in Simanindo Subdistrict.